So down it came.
And here is how it looked for a few weeks. Or since March.
As fate would have it, this old wood buffet on Craigslist was the perfect size, but my idea of just painting out the wall wasn't going to work. The texture below didn't match the texture above.......which meant that I had to put paneling BACK UP or re-texture the entire wall.
Anybody who has dealt with the circus that is joint compound knows that there was a clear winner. I got the cheapest, fakest paneling I could at Lowes to line the long wall,and although it didn't match in color,it did match the spacing of the grooves, which is all that mattered once it was primed and painted out.Eventually all of the carpet will be ripped out, but for now a piece of painted wood covers up the part of the floor where the bookcase was.So it's now August and here it is.
All that hard work on the walls and the whole thing looks like a total yawn-fest.
At this point, I had absolutely NO MONEY to fix it.
So I used what I did have.